2007-04-17

Why 32 Are Dead

Yesterday was one of the worst days I have had in a very long time. I watched the news as the reported death toll climbed and wondered why so many people were senselessly dying. I also thought of others across the nation who were killed at the end of a gun or the point of a knife that were not reported- those killed in a back alley somewhere for a few bucks from their wallet. Statistically, every two weeks more people in Washington DC alone are murdered than were murdered at Virginia Tech yesterday.

Murder, unfortunately, will always be a part of human society. It will absolutely never go away, and anyone who says it can is a fool. Because I know this, I was not surprised to hear that once again someone had shot up a bunch of people. What made me really mad is that the people had to sit there cowering in a corner waiting to be shot- because they couldn't do a thing about it. Virginia Tech in a so-called "weapons-free zone." At least until a murderer brings a weapon onto campus.

I fought with my anger all day yesterday focusing on the Virginia lawmakers, who just recently shot down a law that would have required Virginia Tech to allow both students and faculty the God-given right to self-defense by allowing them to carry a gun. In fact, the effort to shoot down this law was hugely supported by Virginia Tech itself. Even a single student or faculty member armed with a gun of their own could have prevented dozens of deaths, just as in DC dozens of deaths could be prevented by allowing the general population to carry weapons.

But today, my spirits were lifted when I saw that apparently I am not alone in my opinions. Polls that I have seen today claim that, on average, about 75% of the nation thinks that had guns been allowed on the campus the death toll would have been greatly reduced, if the gunman had even decided to do it at all (I think he still would have in this case) as opposed to the other 25% or so who believed that further restrictions on guns is the answer.

As my focus began to move away from politicians and stupid laws, I began to realize that I missed something, something that I am ashamed to have missed. The single reason that the death toll was so high, and the reason that it remains high in DC, New York, LA, and across the nation, the reason our government feels it is necessary to disarm the people in direct violation of our Constitution, is that we as a nation are continually turning our backs on God. We remove Him from school, from government, and we worship politically correctness in His place. And these are the results: gunmen in our schools, and thousands of defenseless students for them to prey on until our politically-correct police finally show up to stop it. Three murders every day in DC, and people who believe dialing 911 is actually going to help.

This could have been prevented. This should have been prevented. But without a basis for morality we pass feel-good laws that make us feel safe knowing full well that people are going to die as a result. This nation needs to wake up. We need God, we need morality in our society, and our government needs to realize that it is put in place by God to serve the people, not to remove their ability to defend themselves from murderers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home